“People should not lose the joy of living in the fear of dying”
I’m putting a call out to my wonderful tourism and hospitality community to ask if you could support my fundraising efforts. The two charities I’m raising money for have helped me make it through what’s been the hardest year of my life.
If you could contribute a prize for my fundraising efforts please get in touch. And to help you decide, below is some information about our plans and how the travel community is already coming together and doing what we do best – being hospitable.
Travel Massive connects thousands of travel insiders to meet, learn and collaborate at free events all around the world. TravelMassive Edinburgh aims to bring together passionate local travel and tourism professionals to share ideas and make new connections.
Our Christmas event (Tuesday 6 December, sponsored by The Royal Yacht Britannia) will raise vital funds for two charities which have provided enormous support to me and fellow members Julie Galante and Scott Roland – Bloodwise and Maggies centres. I was diagnosed in 2015 with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and received a life saving stem cell transplant in February 2016. Scott Roland, partner of TravelMassive Edinburgh member Julie Galante is currently receiving treatment for the same form of Leukaemia and is due to undergo a stem cell transplant soon. All three of us have fundraised and blogged to raise awareness of AML, openly sharing our experiences of living with Leukaemia.
Bloodwise is the UK’s specialist blood cancer charity. It undertakes groundbreaking research which is delivering outstanding results in the fight against the 137 types of blood cancer.
Maggie’s, the charity which provides free practical, emotional and social support for people with cancer and their family and friends.
The 2015 TravelMassive Edinburgh Christmas event fund-raised over £1000 for Bloodwise and the Western General Hospital.
For 2016, our raffle for the above charities aims to offer exciting travel prizes and ‘money can’t buy’ experiences, and we shall promote the fundraiser widely throughout Scotland’s tourism industry networks and via digital media. We’d be delighted to include your business donation in this special event and hope that you will be able to get involved. Please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for details of the fabulous prozes available
Notes to Editors:
- Blood cancer is the 5th most common cancer in the UK (38,000 diagnoses every year)
- It is the 3rd biggest cause of cancer death.
- Funding research is the only way to ensure in future no one will lose their life to blood cancer.
- The first Maggie’s opened in Edinburgh 20 years ago and there are now 19 centres worldwide
- Maggie Keswick Jencks lived with advanced cancer for two years. She created the blueprint for a new type of care and Maggie’s Centres are built around her belief that people should not “lose the joy of living in the fear of dying”.
- The free support from Maggie’s strengthens the physical, emotional and psychological well being of patients, their family and friends.
- More about Maggie’s: http://bit.ly/2fjYx5x and http://bit.ly/2fjWDBO
TravelMassive Edinburgh –
- Tourism professionals Katy Duncan of Haggis Adventures and Lesley Judge of Smart Tourism started the Edinburgh branch of global travel networking community TravelMassive in early 2015 and have built a community of over 300 members, with strong support from the Edinburgh tourism community. TravelMassive Edinburgh runs regular networking events and secures sponsors and industry speakers, with events attracting an average crowd of 60+. Sponsors include The Kelpies, G&V Royal Mile Hotel and Festivals Edinburgh.
Individuals and businesses can join the community: https://travelmassive.com/chapters/edinburgh